The CityU VMC Neurology Service is a specialized referral service for the investigation and treatment of neurological diseases. Our board-certified veterinary neurologists, experienced veterinary nurses, and radiographers work closely with specialists throughout CityU VMC to ensure your pet receives the highest level of care possible.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive neurological examination and neurolocalization.
- Diagnosis and management of brain diseases such as epilepsy, inflammatory and infectious diseases, tumors, hydrocephalus, vascular accidents (stroke), traumatic brain injury and other diseases.
- Diagnosis and treatment of spinal diseases including decompressive surgery for intervertebral disc disease, spinal fractures, atlantoaxial subluxations, tumors, inflammatory and infectious diseases, malformations and other diseases.
- Diagnosis and treatment of peripheral nervous system, neuromuscular junction and muscular diseases, including peripheral vestibular disease, myasthenia gravis, myositis and other diseases.
- Electrodiagnostic studies of nerves and muscles, brainstem auditory-evoked potentials (BAER), muscle and nerve biopsy.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (1.5T high field MRI) and computerized tomography (64-slice CT).
- Cerebrospinal fluid collection and comprehensive analysis.
- Collaboration with CityU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and local laboratories for specialized testing, including genetic testing for degenerative myelopathy and other neurodegenerative diseases. Some specialized blood tests may take up to 2 weeks to return.
Our board-certified neurology specialists will thoroughly evaluate your pet and work with you to develop a diagnostic and treatment plan. For neurological emergencies, same-day diagnostic imaging and surgery can usually be accommodated. Our neurology service works directly with the anaesthesia service to ensure your pet is safe and comfortable throughout any anaesthetic procedure such as MRI.